Membaka Ichidai めん馬鹿 一代
Membaka Ichidai is the famous flaming fire ramen in Kyoto! We saw a video on YouTube before our first trip so I had to put it on my bucket list! Fire ramen is actually a bowl of green onion ramen with a shoyu base soup of chicken, pork and fish. The chef speaks limited English but he has laminated slides that tells you all the rules but here's some of them:
1. If you have bangs, he'll give you a hair tie. If he doesn't like the way you did it, he'll rip it out and tie it like a kiddy stand up ponytail! It looks ridiculous but it's hilarious!
2. He'll provide an apron in case of splashes.
3. Put both hands behind your back.
4. Must lean back at all times!
5. Photos aren't allowed but videos are okay.
6. You can give the owner your phone or camera and he'll put it on the stand. He has the perfect angle set up!
Once everything is set up, he'll pour the burning oil and flames go all the way up to the ceiling to bring out the flavor and aroma!
Membaka Ichidai has become a touristy trap and more foreigners would come here for the experience. When we were there in 2014, the locals were shocked when we ordered the fire ramen so obviously, this is just for foreigners. If it's your first time in Japan, this would be a cool experience. But if you're a true foodie, the food is just alright so don't expect too much.
Address \\ 757-2 Minamiiseyacho Kamigyo-ku Kyoto
Phone Number \\ 075-812-5818 (Does not take reservations)
Hours \\ Monday, Wednesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:15pm, 6pm - 11pm
Average Price \\ Lunch – ￥1,000 - ￥1,999
Payment Method \\ Cash Only
Rating \\ 3.27/5
Website \\ Membaka Ichidai (English Website)